𝗖𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗻 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗺𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗥𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗟𝗮𝗽𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗶𝗿 𝗣𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀.
1. Start reading to your little ones as early as you can! Start incorporating 1 - 2 books from 5 months old and slowly build up a library for books appropriate for their age.
2. Make reading a daily routine. Set aside 30mins of your time everyday just to read with your little ones, no phones allowed!
3. Place the books in a basket within their reach. If you see them flip with their books (like a toy), let them! Even if it’s upside down, it means they are interested! Put a hair tie on each page of the book if you see your little ones struggling with flipping the pages. This increases the chances for them to self-read!
4. When they’re older (around 1 year old), empower your child with options. Offer them 2 books each time and get them to choose which book to read first. Ask if they want to re-read the same book again. We get our toddler to signal “more” if she wants to read the same book again.
5. Point at the words as you read them so your little ones figure out how books work. Get them to flip the pages when you are done with each page. OUr little ones love to be in control of activities - the more you involve them, the more they will enjoy reading!
6. Play a little game with your young toddlers - ask them to bring a particular book over to you for you to read. “Pass me the Poppy book” Watch them pick out the right book and give them extra cuddles!
Tagging some of our all-time favourites:
LEGO Building Site Interactive board book for your little ones to practise their fine motor skills. Comes in construction and fire station - learn about construction and saving the fire!
Made For Me: Our daily bedtime staple book to put our little one to sleep. A classic heartwarming book that every parent and child will love.
Bitty Bao Bilingual series to expose the Chinese language to your child. Help them love Chinese!
Poppy and Story Orchestra Real classical music songbooks!
Baobao learns Chinese Nursery rhymes and songs that you grew up with in Chinese 🎶